Sunday, October 6, 2013

Sue's Tailgate Sandwich

I've had this recipe for a long time.  I don't remember where I got it or who Sue was.  Sorry, Sue, I would give you credit if I remembered.  I've modified it slightly over the years.  One time I brought this to a tailgate with store-bought "spinach" focaccia bread.  It wasn't until I got to the tailgate, I realized it was jalapeno focaccia bread.  It gave it a nice, but surprising, kick.  No tailgate today, but we are gathering to watch the game on TV.  Works just as well.


1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 (12-inch round) focaccia or calabrese loaf
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/4 pound thinly sliced smoked turkey
1/4 pound thinly sliced dry salami
1/4 pound provolone, thinly sliced
2 thin slices red onion, halved and separated
1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
2 roasted red peppers, see recipe below
1 cup shredded fresh spinach
Balsamic vinaigrette

Slice the bread in half horizontally. If the loaf is thick, hollow out a bit of the center so there is not too much bread.  Mix together mayonnaise and garlic. Spread this mixture on the bread. Layer the remaining ingredients on half of the bread. Sprinkle with balsamic vinaigrette. Top with second piece of bread. Wrap in plastic wrap and then foil. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight. Slice into wedges and serve.

Roasted Red Peppers
2 red bell peppers

Cut peppers in half and clean out seeds. Brush with olive oil. Grill on low-medium heat or broil for 20 minutes - skin side to the flame.  Peel off blackened skin.









No comments:

Post a Comment