Friday, January 30, 2015

Spicy Shrimp with Zucchini Pasta

I love pasta but I've been trying to cut a few calories.  I saw a recipe using zucchini "pasta".  I was a little nervous and I actually made some spaghetti to go with this dish just in case.  My husband, the runner, who can never get enough calories had the spaghetti but I did not.  Oh my gosh, this was so good!  I like zucchini but this didn't even taste like zucchini.  It was just great!



I bought a new kitchen gadget just for this dish.  This little tool is amazing - the Julienne slicer.  How did I not know about this before.

2 T olive oil, separated
10-12 large wild-caught uncooked shrimp
2 T Emeril's Essence Creole Seasoning
5-6 large mushrooms, sliced thin
2 medium zucchini, julienne-cut
4 cloves garlic, diced
20-25 grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 lemon

Peel and devein the shrimp.  Put the shrimp and the creole seasoning in a small bag and shake to coat.  Return to the refrigerator while you prepare the vegetables.

Add a couple teaspoons of olive oil to a large frying pan.  I use one that's shaped somewhat like a wok, with a large deep bowl.  Add the shrimp and cook for a minute or so on each side until the shrimp turns pink.  Be careful not to overcook or your shrimp will have the texture of shoe leather.  Remove the shrimp to a bowl.  Add the mushrooms and more oil, if necessary.  When the mushrooms  are tender, remove those to the shrimp bowl.  Add the zucchini and garlic and saute for about 2 minutes. Don't over cook or the zucchini will turn to mush and start to fall apart.  Add the tomatoes and the shrimp and mushrooms back to the pan.  Cook just to heat (less than a minute).  Squeeze the lemon juice into the pan and give it a quick stir.

2 servings




No comments:

Post a Comment